Emotional Support Animal (ESA)
Evaluations in Denver, Colorado
Animals are an important part of our existence and provide many benefits in helping us manage our wellbeing and mental health symptoms. That is why we support, evaluate, and provide Emotional Support Animal (ESA) Letters.
What is an Emotional Support Animal Letter?
This is where we write a letter stating that you need your animal due to the benefits you are receiving from that animal in order to manage mental health symptoms appropriately. These letters are beneficial in various circumstances including approval by HOA’s, landlords, and other housing related matters. There are other times when these letters just provide you with a peace of mind – we are happy to evaluate and subsequently accommodate requests for any reason. These are renewed every year because circumstances change.
What does that evaluation process look like?
We meet with you yearly and discuss the benefits your animal is providing you to alleviate or manage mental health symptoms. We then go through an assessment to ensure your mental health symptoms are being improved and/or managed by interacting with your animal. We review ethics of animals, different types of professional animals, and the differences in services provided and privileges acquired. We then consult with your mental health provider, primary care doctor, or other professional to confirm your mental health diagnosis that we are using to evaluate if you qualify under the American Disabilities Act. We then write you a letter for a year and am the contact for anyone requesting information about your ESA evaluation.
Clarifications- An ESA Is None of the Following:
A Service Animal: an animal trained specifically to perform tasks for those with disabilities. These animals are given privileges to be in public venues.
A Therapy Animal: an animal that provides goal oriented therapeutic interventions to help clients with therapeutic goals. These animals can be approved to work in certain venues in order to provide treatment to clients. These animals go through certain training and evaluations in order to provide care. As an example, Lola is a therapy animal who serves my clients.
Warning: if you are purchasing anything off of an online website to certify your animals, this is illegal and a scam. You can only obtain an ESA Letter from a certified therapist. This therapist evaluates your mental health needs, not your dog’s behaviors.
ESA Evaluations are $165 for a 50-55 minute session. Letters are provided after this session at no additional cost.
Is An ESA Evaluation Right For You?
Wondering if an ESA Evaluation is the right choice for you? Our expert team can help you determine if an Emotional Support Animal is the ideal solution for enhancing your emotional well-being and overall quality of life.
- Individuals experiencing anxiety, depression, or other emotional disorders seeking additional support in their daily lives.
- People dealing with overwhelming stress, looking for a reliable source of comfort and companionship.
- Those feeling isolated or lonely, wanting to establish a strong emotional connection with an animal companion.
- Individuals facing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or coping with trauma, seeking the calming influence of an ESA.
- Anyone facing challenges related to autism, ADHD, or other neurodevelopmental conditions, benefiting from the therapeutic presence of an ESA.
- Those with chronic health conditions, aiming to imrpove their mental and emotional well-being through the assistance of a devoted Emotional Support Animal.
How We Can Help You
What Are The Benefits of Emotional Support Animals?
- Emotional Support and Companionship: ESAs offer unconditional love and companionship, reducing feelings of loneliness and providing emotional support during difficult times.
- Stress and Anxiety Reduction: Interacting with an ESA can lead to decreased levels of stress hormones and anxiety, promoting a sense of calm and relaxation.
- Improved Mood and Mental Health: The presence of an ESA has been shown to boost mood, reduce symptoms of depression, and enhance overall mental well-being.
- Coping with Trauma and PTSD: ESAs can provide a sense of security and comfort to individuals dealing with traumatic experiences or post-traumatic stress disorder, helping them to cope more effectively.
- Enhanced Social Interaction: Owning an ESA can encourage social interaction and help individuals build connections with others, as pets often serve as conversation starters and ice-breakers.
- Increased Physical Activity: Having an ESA may motivate individuals to engage in regular physical activities like walking, playing, or exercising, which can contribute to improved physical health.
- Support for Various Conditions: ESAs can be beneficial to a wide range of health conditions, such as autism, ADHD, chronic pain, and other emotional or psychological disorders, contributing to a more holistic treatment approach.
How Can I Work With Lola & Me Therapy?
Lola & Me Therapy is currently accepting new clients virtually (via telehealth) and in-person at our Denver, Colorado office located at 2727 Bryan St. Suite 610, Denver, CO 80211. To learn more or get started, use the button below to schedule a free therapy consultation. If you have questions about our services or would like to speak with a member of our team you may Contact Us.
Our clinicians are available and ready to help you.
Frequently Asked Questions
We work with diverse populations from children, teens, & adults in individual, couples, group, and family counseling. To see more about who we work with, click here.
We can meet in person at any our Denver office located conveniently in the Highlands area. Telehealth by SimplePractice is the technology service we will use to conduct telehealth videoconferencing appointments.
For telehealth, we will send an accessible link to your phone or email from Simple Practice. All you need to do is get comfortable in a safe space, click the link, and join for a video meeting.
To schedule a consultation you can simply click here and complete the form to secure a convenient consultation time.
We strive to meet the needs of our clients and have a variety of available therapists to ensure we can pair you with a therapist that can best support your desired goals.
We currently do not accept any insurances, however, we provide superbills for you to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement. Many of our clients go this route and it is easy to do.
While payment is expected after each session by the client, Lola & Me Therapy will provide a superbill, which is a detailed receipt that you, the client, submits to get reimbursed from your insurance company. If approved, your insurance company will reimburse you directly since you will have already paid for the services.
We recommend calling your insurance company for more information on your out-of-network benefits, and deductibles.
We offer 50-minute sessions with an optional 30-minute add-on for an additional fee. We recommend clients attend sessions a minimum of once a week to start. Depending on the nature of the client's needs, meeting twice a week is a possibility. Once you are progressing in therapy we can move to bi-weekly or monthly maintenance sessions.